Sunday 12 January 2014

Week 2 Tips - Showing or Telling

One way to make your characters seem very real, is to show the reader their characteristics, instead of just telling.

Here are some examples:

Your hero is brave.

You could write: 'My hero is brave.'
That way your readers will think, "Ah yes, the hero is brave."

However, if you describe something the hero did that was brave, your readers won't just think, "Ah yes, brave." They'll think, "Wow! What a mighty brave thing to do. This hero really is super brave."

For example. 'My hero once jumped over a burning kennel to rescue a mouse that had gone swimming without its armbands on.'

I'd definitely like the hero more if I read the second description.

Another example:

Your hero is funny.

You could write: 'My hero is funny.'

Or, you could write, 'My hero once told a joke that was so funny, his mum fell off her chair and a carrot shot out of his dad's nose.'

Some writers say you must show not tell but I think a mixture is best. When you want to describe something quickly, tell the reader. When you want to describe something powerful, show the reader.

Many of you used great examples of showing in your monster species descriptions.

'His ears are so big birds have built a nest in one of them.' - Kathryn (Broadway)

'Sorry, I can't tell you more because he's going to eat us!' - Harry, Ju and Alex (BWI)

'Snotty has flies flying over his head day and night but he doesn't mind.' - Anonymous (Rosemellin)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your first name, age and location/school when leaving a comment.