Monday 6 January 2014

Week 1 Tips - Brainstorming Your Monster Species

Before I wrote The Troll Trap, I designed my monster species using a brainstorm. This helped me make sure that I hadn't forgotten any important details and gave me something to look back at if I needed to jog my memory.

To brainstorm a monster species, you start by sketching the monster in the middle of a page. A sketch is a rough drawing so you don't have to spend a long time on it.

Once you've sketched your monster, you need to make notes about the important parts of its body. You do this by drawing a line from the feature and writing a description at the end of the line, like I did for 'warts'.

Some aspects of a monster cannot be seen, for example how it smells. Remember to add these too.

If you want to brainstorm your monster, you can either do it yourself on a blank sheet of paper or you can use my template. Once you've finished your brainstorm, it'll be much easier to write your monster species description.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your first name, age and location/school when leaving a comment.