Thursday 6 February 2014

Questions from Morton Trentside Primary School

Year 2 at Morton Trentside Primary have sent me some questions about being an author. Here are my responses:

How long have you been an author?

The first story I remember writing was called The Land of Blue and I was six. After that, I wrote stories as often as I could. I first published a book three years ago. I don't think you have to publish a book to be an author, you just have to write stories. So I've been an author for 28 years and a paid author for 3.

How many books have you written?



Published children's books: three main ones (The Troll Trap, Mr Splendiferous and Trolls on Ice) and one short story (Gourmet Girl Burger).

I've written a few unpublished stories and some published stories for adults, too.

How long does it take you to write one book?

It depends on how long the book is and how much research I need to do before I can start writing. The Troll Trap, which is 179 pages took two months to write, including editing.

How many stories do you write in one year?

It varies. Last year I wrote two troll books and some short stories.

Why do you want to make a monster book?

I visited schools and noticed how excited children get about monsters and how many good ideas children have when they're excited. I knew we'd have lots of fun writing a monster book together, and I rather like fun.

How did you become an author?

I worked hard at school and read lots of books. After my light was turned off at bedtime, I would lie in bed making up stories in my head. When I got older I started writing stories down using our computer. Eventually I started showing other people my stories using the internet and then finally, I was ready to sell some.

Why did you want to be an author?

Being an author is one of the best jobs in the world. You can work at home whilst eating cake. You can make magical things happen in your brain and then, through writing, you can put those magical things in other people's brains so that they can enjoy them too.

What is it like to write so many words?

It feels great because I love writing. The more you practice writing, the easier it is to write something very long.

What type of books do you write?

Mostly funny story books.

Can you write a book in one day?

Only a very short one!

Which book is the most popular that you have written?

My most popular children's book is The Troll Trap because it is the first in a series.

How many books have you made?

I make all my own books. Some people have publishers who take their words and make them into books, but I like doing it myself. I make the covers (with help from my illustrator), choose the book size, hire an editor etc, just like we will for our monster book.

How do you work?

I get up and have breakfast. Then I go to the beach to wake myself up. If there are no big waves, I have a swim. Then I come home and have a word with Loodrip Stinkleboss, the troll who lives in my toilet. Next, I fill up my teapot. I sit down at my computer and write using my shiny blue laptop, until biscuit time.

How many books have you read?

Hundreds.

Who has mainly illustrated your books?
Katie W. Stewart illustrates my books. She lives in Australia but was born in Britain. She's a children's writer as well as an illustrator and writes fantasy books with dragons in them. I like Katie, she's funny and talented.

Which book is your favourite that you have written?



The First Trollogy is my favourite, because it contains three troll books all in one.

Thanks to Morton Trentside for their questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your first name, age and location/school when leaving a comment.