Monday 3 March 2014

My Illustration Diary

I decided to draw an illustration of my own, using Katie's illustration guide. Here is a diary of my progress,

I prepared my desk. It's nice and tidy like Katie suggested. I sharpened my pencils and got my ruler, fineliner and rubber ready.

On the left is Katie's monster drawing guide.On the right is the section from the synopsis that I chose to illustrate. I picked Chapter 12, where Summer Slimyspikes turns up at Simon's house with a scroll of new laws.

I decided I'd draw a 16x6 cm illustration to go at the top of a page. So, using a pencil, ruler and set square, to draw guidelines.
Next I used How to Draw a Monster Part 1 and a soft pencil to sketch the shape of Summer Slimyspikes. I also sketched the outline of Simon. He's bending over because Simon is taller than a lumipoo momp.
Then, still using How to Draw a Monster Part 1, I used my pencil to add some details.
I went over all the lines I wanted to keep, with my black fineliner.
After that, I erased my original pencil markings. Then using How to Draw a Monster Part 2, I shaded in my illustration.
Finally, if my illustration was used in the book, the page might look like this.

Don't forget to check the blog comments to see what Katie has to say.

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Rosen! I notice your paper got a little creased. How did that happen? I sometimes do it when I'm erasing and I don't hold the paper properly or I get a bit too enthusiastic and rub too hard. But it doesn't show in the end.

    It's a great illustration!

    Katie W. Stewart, Old enough, Too old for school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie.
    Yes, I think it was careless rubbing out - oops!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your first name, age and location/school when leaving a comment.